If you’re a fan of teak furniture or boats with teak decks, then you’re aware of the importance of teak sealer. It’s a must-have wood protection kit and the first line of defense in combat against wood decay.
I conducted huge research in a quest for the best teak sealer available and I will present you my top picks.
This article will give a better overview of different types of teak sealers, their features, and prices.
After you read this article, you’ll be able to choose the best teak sealer for yourself, according to your needs. Also, I will give you more information about teak and teak furniture and explain to you why is awesome to have at least one piece of teak furniture at your home.
There are varieties in colors, purposes, prices, and brands of teak sealers, so I got my hands dirty instead of you, hoping I will help you to choose one of the 7 picks I made.
Absolute winner – Golden care teak protector
This is, by far, the best teak sealer available. Top-quality, it will keep your furniture in the original condition for a very long time. Based on water, it is eco-friendly, non-toxic, and non-flammable. Best value for your money.
The main teak sealer uses
According to most architects and civil engineers, teak is the best construction wood in the world. It’s hard, dense wood, with a huge percentage of natural oil, which gives it high resistance, durability, and strength.
But, no matter how hard it is, it’s still just wood. And, just like any other wood, it needs to be protected. That’s why we’re talking about the teak wood sealer. The teak wood sealer will improve the performance of your wooden material. There are a few main uses of teak sealer:
- Teak furniture protection: First and the most important use of a teak wood sealer is to protect your furniture from decay. As we said, teak is a very strong and durable wood, but the use of sealer will give it a longer lifespan and better appearance. Especially if we’re talking about outdoor and bathroom furniture, which is affected by water, mold, or the sun.
- Marine wood protection: Teak has been used in the shipbuilding industry for centuries. From the medieval period, it has been considered the best wood for shipbuilding. Even today most of the ship decks are built of teak wood. There are types of teak sealers especially made for marine teak, but any type of teak wood sealer will be just fine for marine wood.
- Hardwood protection: Teak sealer is equally effective with the other types of wood, such as bamboo, maple, oak, mahogany, or any other hardwood. It will protect any kind of wooden furniture.
Best teak sealer on the market
I had an opportunity to test a lot of different types of teak sealers. I paid the most attention to the price of it, how easy it apples, how much time is needed for preparation, and how well it repels the water.
Led by a few mentioned criteria, I made the final list of 7 best performers which will be presented in further text.
|Teak Protector||Buy now|
|Semco Teak Wood Waterproofing Sealant 1 Gallon||Buy now|
|Star brite Teak Sealer||Buy now|
|TotalBoat Danish Teak Sealer||Buy now|
|Gloster Teak Sealer||Buy now|
|JustTeak Natural Teak Sealer||Buy now|
|Lat 26 Teak Seal||Buy now|
1. Golden care teak protector
This is my top choice! Its honey-brown color will give the teak its natural color and it will preserve it for months. It’s proven that it lasts at least 4 times longer than natural teak oil.
No matter how old your teak furniture is, you just need to apply a teak protector and it will look brand new. It dries quickly so it’s a real-time saver.
Easy to apply, with no toxic fumes, it’s the best money value product available. Based on water, it’s almost eco-friendly. It’s non-flammable and safe for usage around the home.
This product is packed in a 1-liter bottle and you can get it for a decent price. It’s worth of spent money.
Check my full Golden care teak protector review.
- Top-quality, lasts at least 4 times longer than teak oil
- The water-repelling product will keep your furniture in its original condition
- The water-based formula gives the teak natural honey brown color
- Easy to apply and drying fast, it’s a real time saver
- No toxic fumes, eco-friendly and non-flammable and safe to use around the home
- Although it’s eco-friendly, just like with all other chemicals, it’s recommended to use gloves while applying it
- There’s just a 1-liter pack size so if you need a smaller volume of it, you still need to buy this one
2. Semco Teak Sealer
Semco sealer is one of the most popular sealers on the market. It’s renowned for its durability and long-lasting performance.
It’s a water-based, environment-friendly teak wood sealer. Provides moisture protection and repels water without being slippery. On top of that, it provides UV protection.
Very easy to apply, it dries quickly. It doesn’t contain silicone, varnish, polymers, or exotic oils. It’s non-toxic so you’re free to use it around your house. It’s equally effective for indoor and outdoor use.
When is properly applied to the teak, the wood will look as if it has nothing on it, yet it will not turn gray or support the growth of mildew.
Surface soil can be washed away with mild detergent, and with seasonal recoating, the teak will be preserved in its natural state for many years.
This sealer is available in three beautiful tones: natural tone, clear tone, and honey brown tone, so you can choose the option which is the most appealing to you. Also, you can buy it in three different packs: pint, quart, and gallon pack.
Check my full Semco teak sealer review here.
- High-quality product, it will keep your furniture from decay for years
- Water-based, non-toxic and eco-friendly product
- It repels the water without being slippery
- Provides UV protection
- Different color tones and packs available
- Price is a bit higher than similar products available
- Some customers said that it starts to fade after some time on the sun
3. Starbrite teak sealer
Starbrite teak sealer is one of the most popular teak sealers in the United States, where it’s proudly produced for more than 45 years.
It’s developed specifically for harsh tropical marine environments, provides superior performance in northern climates. Advanced polymers seal out the water, salt and sun to stop wood from turning black
The special formula provides top-quality UV protection which will outlast natural teak oil protection. It’s commonly used for ship deck teak surface treatment
Very easy to apply, one coat formula will guarantee a mess-free appliance. It won’t splatter, run, or drip. It’s equally effective indoor or outdoor.
Starbrite teak sealer comes in three different colors: clear, natural light color, and classic teak color. Speaking about volume, there are three volume packs available: pint, quart, and gallon.
- Ease of use – you just need to apply and rinse it
- Developed especially for marine and tropical weather conditions
- Highly resistant to salt and sun, preventing the wood from turning black
- Top-quality UV protection will keep the wood from fading
- Some users had complaints about the density of the sealer, which, up to their opinion, affect the quality of it. They said it’s almost like water
- Some customers complained about the price of the product
- Please, read the manual carefully. It’s dangerous if the substance gets in touch with your eyes, or if you swallow it
4. TotalBoat Danish Teak Deck Sealer
TotalBoat teak deck sealer is one of the most popular teak wood sellers among marines and shipbuilders. Up to my opinion, it’s the best marine teak sealer available.
Its special formula has unique anti-fungal biocides that protect the wood from bacteria, mold, and mildew.
Its use is not limited just to outdoor use. It will be equally efficient indoor as well. Especially if you use it for bathroom furniture treatment.
Teak deck sealer penetrates, seals and preserves any type of wood. It has a much better effect than natural teak oil.
The appliance is pretty much easy. You apply it in two coats within 8 to 12 hours of dry time in between. Apply one coat, after 30 minutes wipe away the excess. After it’s dry, sand it, wipe it, and apply the second coat.
Properly applied, this deck sealer will keep your ship deck from decay for years. The unique formula will keep the deck wood from turning black and being slippery.
This is available in quarters and gallons, so you can choose the better fit.
- Highly resistant to extreme outdoor conditions
- UV protection will keep the wood from fading
- The unique anti-fungal formula protects wood from bacteria, mold, and mildew
- Minimizes gray and staining and keeps wood from being slippery
- Two coats appliance penetrates, seals and preserves wood for years
- Some users complained about black mold spots after the furniture spent some time in the rain
- Other customers weren’t satisfied with how furniture fades after a few months
5. Gloster teak sealer
The Gloster teak sealer helps retain the golden-brown color of teak outdoor furniture for an extended time. Fast and easy to apply, the sealer is resistant to mold and prevents the formation of black spots.
Effective for indoor or outdoor use, it will return your teak furniture in shiny, like-new condition. And not just the teak, it’s effective with any other type of wood. It will satisfy all your needs.
A special formula of Gloster teak sealer will not affect the strength or longevity of teak furniture in any way. It will affect just its appearance.
Gloster teak sealer should be applied once a year to provide continuous protection against weathering. Of course, indoor furniture will need less care compared to the outdoor, or bathroom one.
If you decide to buy it, there is one volume pack of 33 fl. Oz. or 1-liter pack. Approximately, it’s enough to cover one dining table.
- Very effective against mold black spots
- Fast and easy to apply, it provides strong UV protection
- It retains the golden-brown color of the teak for a long period
- It’s for indoor and outdoor use
- There’s just one pack size, so you need to have to plan it according to the volume of your work.
- There is just one color.
6. JustTeak Teak Furniture Sealer
JustTeak sealer is top quality modern, long-lasting teak oil. This teak furniture sealer has been considered as a Marine-grade quality product.
It will ensure a beautiful, natural finish that will protect your teak from the sun, rain, and stain. Made from natural oil, it will make no harm to your wooden furniture.
You will prolong your teak from turning gray, and when it comes to re-apply, the teak furniture sealer can easily be removed and applied again.
If you applying it for the first time, it’s recommended to gently sand the surface. Then, you need to ensure that surface is clean of dust and dirt before application.
It’s recommended to apply 2-3 coats, with 15-30 minutes of drying between. You just need to touch it to check is it dry. Once applied properly, it will keep your teak furniture from decay for months.
There are four tones of JustTeak sealer available: aged teak (shade of gray), clean and brightened tone, clear tone, and natural look sealer.
When it comes to size, you have two different options: 1 liter (quart) and 4 liters (gallon) pack. Just, don’t forget to shake it before opening it. Also, it has to be shaken periodically to remove bubbles from it.
- Beautiful, natural oil, with no harmful chemicals, will protect your furniture for months
- Easy and fast to apply, drying quickly, it’s a real time saver
- Four available tones to satisfy all your needs
- No toxic fumes, you can use it indoor and outdoor
- It’s based on natural oil, so it will not last as much as other sealers
- Some users had complaints about the price of it.
7. Lat 26 Teak Seal UV Blocking Teak Sealant
Water-based, Lat 26 teak seal is top quality UV blocking teak sealant.
People from Lat 26 have an expression: KEEP THE GREY AWAY. Yes, it’s true, this teak sealer will provide months of protection and resistance to greying of teak due to oxidation.
Made in the United States, it has a special formula that helps repel salt water, dirt, mildew, and other environmental elements from teak and other wood surfaces.
This UV-blocking teak sealant can be applied on top of already oiled or existing teak treatments to further preserve the wood.
It’s easy and fast to apply. It’s recommended to apply 2-3 coats of sealer, depending on wood absorbance. Once the wood can’t absorb it, you need to wipe the excess of it and leave it to dry.
It’s available in 2 size packs: 1 liter (quart) and a 4 liters (gallon) pack.
- Extreme UV protection will keep your teak wood like new for months
- Easy and fast to apply
- Special formula repels water and mildew
- It can be applied on top of already treated wood
- The price. It’s one of the most expensive teak sealers on the market
- Read the manual carefully. It’s harmful if it gets in contact with skin and eyes. Potentially fatal if it’s swallowed.
What is teak sealer made of?
I presented you with 7 different brands of teak wood sealers. If you asked what is teak sealer made of, I will give you more information.
Although every company has its special formula, most of the ingredients are the same.
Here are some main teak sealer ingredients: Trimethyl benzene, Dimethyl benzene, Neodecanoic acid, Solvent Naphtha, Lecithins, Paraffin waxes, 1,2,4-trimethyl benzene, Petroleum distillates, Mineral Spirits, Proprietary Ingredients.
Please, bear in mind that most of those ingredients are toxic and it can harm your health if it’s not handled properly. Before you start using it, please, read the user manual carefully.
If the liquid gets in contact with the eyes, it may cause eye irritation. If you get overexposed, it may extremely irritate your eyes and mucus membranes.
Repeated and prolonged contact with the skin can result in defatting and drying of the skin which may result in skin irritation and dermatitis.
Swallowing the substance may cause serious injuries and may cause death!
Teak Oil vs. Teak Sealer
If you decide to treat your teak furniture, you may wonder which is the right way to do it and whether you should use teak wood oil or teak sealer. The answer depends on your preferences and type of purpose. There are multiple pros and cons, so you need to choose wisely.
Teak oil has more natural ingredients. It’s usually made of linseed oil, combined with varnishes and other chemicals. Teak oil is ideal for indoor furniture, which is not overexposed to extreme temperature and humidity.
It’s perfect if you want to apply it to a dining table, chairs, or some other part of wooden furniture in the living and dining room.
On the other hand, if you want to treat outdoor furniture, which is constantly exposed to the sun, rain, and snow, the teak sealer is a much better option. Its strong chemicals provide better protection.
Also, bathroom furniture, which is overexposed to mold and mildew needs stronger protection, so it’s advised to use a teak sealer for protection.
The general advice is: If you don’t need extreme protection, use teak oil; if you do, use a teak sealer.
How to apply teak sealer?
You need to follow some general instructions to ensure maximum utilization of the teak sealer.
The best results apply in temperatures above 10°C (50°F) on a sunny, low humidity day, ensuring the teak is dry. If you’re doing indoor preparation, be sure that teak is weathered for at least two weeks and completely dry before sealing.
If you’re sanding the furniture, make sure you’re sanded all marks and uneven spots. There are always some unreachable places. Try to reach them all and sand them properly. Once sanded, furniture needs to be cleaned from wood chips, grain, and dust. It’s best to use a clean, dry towel.
Before you open the pack, shake it, or stir it. Once you open it, stir it with a mixing stick. Once the bubbles are evaporated from the substance, you can start applying the process.
Apply the sealer to the furniture, in short, even moves, in the direction of the wood grain. Apply it to all surfaces and try to end at natural breakpoints. After you’re done, leave it dry.
Different wood has different absorbance, but generally, it takes between 15 and 30 minutes to get dry. Touch it to check is it dry. After it’s dry, go through the entire surface, remove the excess liquid and sand it carefully if there is an uneven surface. Clean it again and apply the second coat. If needed, repeat the process for the third coat.
After the sealing process is done, maintenance is pretty much simple: occasionally clean it with soap and water, or some other wood furniture cleaning product. Don’t do it too often. Too much cleaning will remove the sealer from the furniture.
Frequently asked questions
I’m sure you have some questions to ask. I tried to answer some of the most frequently asked questions about teak sealer and I will present them to you in further text.
Q: How to remove the teak sealer?
A: The best way to remove the teak sealer is to sand it. In other cases, if you don’t have too many coats of sealer on your furniture, there’s no need to remove it. Just wash it, get it dry, and apply a new coat of sealer.
Q: How often to apply teak sealer?
A: It’s simple: when you need it. If the furniture is exposed to outdoor or bathroom conditions, it would be good to be renewed every season. Indoor furniture needs a bit less care.
Q: Where to buy teak sealer?
A: There are two options: you can buy it in a local hardware store, or online. I prefer online buying over Amazon for a couple of reasons: it’s easier and faster, you have many more options to choose from and last but not least, often you can get some discounts and shopping coupons.
Q: Can I apply a sealer over teak oil?
A: Yes, you can apply a sealer over teak oil. There’s only one thing you need to pay attention to: make sure the oil is dried before applying the sealer. If it’s not dry, the moisture can get caught under the sealer, which may cause wood decay.
Q: How long does the teak sealer last?
A: In normal conditions, the teak sealer lasts a year. But it depends on the weather. If the wood is exposed to extreme conditions, such as saltwater, snow, sun, or snow, it will last shorter.
Q: Can I apply sealer on the teak cutting board?
A: No, don’t it! It’s not safe to use a teak sealer on any surface where you prepare food. Chemicals from the sealer are toxic and may harm your health.
Q: How much teak sealer do I need?
A: On average, 1 liter (32 Oz.) is enough for one average size dining table with six chairs.
Q: Can I use a marine teak sealer on my furniture?
A: Yes, marine sealer and outdoor furniture sealer are almost the same. Just keep it away from the surface where you’re preparing the food.
I hope I helped you with this article. I tried to cover all the topics you may be interested in.
If you have any additional questions, please, don’t hesitate, feel free to ask. I’m willing to help you in any possible way.
Trying to protect your teak furniture, but you’re not sure which teak sealer to use? Let me introduce our top pick in our ultimate guide.